Civil Commitment for Sex Offenders

Civil Commitment for Sex Offenders
From CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2010/01/10/bolduan.sex.offenders.cnn

Many of these offenders have ridiculous records. It is a difficult issue because on the one hand, there are many cases where these guys are given break after break but on the other hand, many "sex offenders" are like a local boy that had pictures of his same age girlfriend nude on his cell phone. Do we trust judges to have the judgment to decide who truly needs committed and who does not. In my experience with the legal system, it is a crap shoot all around and always will be.

As I've said in previous posts, I read the book: Conversations With a Pedophile. That guy molested over 1000 boys with careful, crafty precision and planning. He admitted that he could never be trusted.

Allen

For the record, I think it's wrong.

Oh, I'm all for longer sentences for offenders. But the right way to do that is actually giving them longer sentences, not letting them out of jail and then saying "well, but not really".

Hmmm
Its not right to do this. Not because these guys are rehabilitated but because it is plain wrong. If we want them locked up forever then sentence them to it the first time. If they've been sentenced and done that time nop matter what anyone believes they should be set free. That is the basis of our society. No gevernment or people working for a government should have the power to keep someone locked up with administrative paperwork.
As in the past we learned and those who got past before the laws changed got past and that was that. I know this is hard for us but we are not special just because it hurts us so much. Either we're all equal or we're not equal at all.
We know now that this is a state of mind that perps have a hard time changeing and often don't want to change so we should rewrite the laws accordingly. But to hold someone beyond the sentence is wrong. Just because of a change in the level of knowledge about what a person who commits this crime is likely to do, or all his predecessors have done, isn't fair. He/she was sentenced based on what was known then and since no facts of the case are changed the sentence should not change.
The courts can hardly be trusted in this country there is no way a panel of administrators is going to be just or fair.
I was held in such a false manner in that institution and then kept in the foster care system by false methods used by administrators to prevent me from going home before I changed enough that my family wouldn't recognize anything wrong in me since I'd be a stranger to them. That was the only intent of holding me, to confuse the issue so that my family wouldn't be able to point to anything specific about me that had changed since it all did.

Sex offenders need second or even third changes. People make mistakes, and some are young , some of mental defects and some have had bad experiences and have learned the wrong things in life. Yes some are bad people and need to be locked up for ever but not in jails or prison but in menial hospitals. Each person needs to be dealt with one by one. I could write a very large and long paper on this but I save you all from this. I have studied many cases Of So's in Mental hospital most who don't belong there. but the State of NY feels they are saving new Yorkers and they are not. Its true their are some real bad people in the world who cant help it and take advantage of children and sexual abuse them. But most don't. Most have other problems that cant deal with and unfortunely they have learned the wrong way to deal with their problems. They need to relearn and life. which can take 6 months or 5 years. or more. Jail, prison is the wrong place, They need treatment and then release back into sociality.

Do you think sending them to jail makes it so they are not dangerous, tell that to the young offender that gets locked up with them. The perpetrator just continues to abuse. I have experience. I think that these people need to be rehabilitated if that is not possible chemical restraints could be use. These guys should never be aloud to hurt any one ever again.

I know a young man that was sent to a mental institution and was prayed by the people that were to be keeping him safe. I don't think there is one answer to all this there is so much needing to be done but no appetite to do it.

Do you think sending them to jail makes it so they are not dangerous, tell that to the young offender that gets locked up with them. The perpetrator just continues to abuse. I have experience. I think that these people need to be rehabilitated if that is not possible chemical restraints could be use. These guys should never be aloud to hurt any one ever again.

I dont believe sex offenders belong in jails or prisons at all. They need treatment and help. I know a young man who was locked up for 2 years and then the state of NY wanted to civil commit him for 8 plus more years. Yes he did have a mental defect but it was not sexual problem it was aspengers syndrome. He was never treated for it. because he had bad adopted parents and the state did not do there job. Had they sent him for treatment for sex offence instead of jail it would have realized what really had happened and things would have been much better off. Now we play catch up. And I sure he not alone. Also the hospital He stayed in in Marcy Ny did not help either a program 2x a week for 1 hour is not good enough. If you going help sex offenders and BTW this was the first time offender. To make sure if never happened again you have to give maximum treatment right away not minimum.

I agree with you Bluefoot they need treatment. They should all go through a mental evaluation, and then receive treatment. I young fella I used to know was sent to kill for stealing women underwear from stores. He took so much punishment in jail. I was someone he could come to, the had him listed a sexual deviant looking back now I would say he was transgendered or really screwed up from CSA. He needed proper mental health not jail.

TRIGGER WARNING
He killed him self a couple of years later. He was at my kitchen table talking to someone else he could trust. He told her the the Psychiatrist had told him to just get on with it you are just seeking attention. She had to put him on hold and he pulled the trigger. He deserved to be help and was not a sexual deviant I knew everything about his past he would come and talk to me. It was well known in town that in their family all the children were sexually abuse and no one step in and took control. !0 children in the family and only 4 still alive, all the rest have past through suicide. They experience was tied too Residential Schools for native children.