Sugguestion... (trigger warning)

Sugguestion... (trigger warning)

gloomypanda

Registrant
I thought this would be a good place to ask this question. I don't want to offend anyone by asking this or upset them. I think a topic about Self Harm in Health or some where would be a good idea. I know that I am younger than most males on this site. It has been brought to my attention that some people aren't known here about self harm. I do believe that having a topic could truly help some survivors and secondary survivors.
Some people have learn to cope with self harm. I don't want to glorify it or make it seem like a good way to cope. I just think some information on it would help some survivors not feel alone and some secondary survivors maybe understand it also.
I was throwing this out there because it has been something I have suffered from for years. It is a shameful thing that you don't want others knowing about.
What do people think?

Last edited:
Gloomy Panda there is a special approval forum for At Risk men and I believe that is where self harm has been discussed in the past. Sorry I don’t know more or speak with certainty but I am the newest Moderator. I believe that forum was moderated in the past by a therapist who retired and it became inactive. There is an active search for a way to reactivate that limited access thread.

topic could truly help some survivors

Hello gloomypanda, I read the Guidelines wondering if there may be additional guidance regarding your question. Though, I do agree with you that this is the right place to ask such a question. Mani is right on all accounts and until we've gotten a new therapist for the At Risk forum there's not another forum designated for such discussion. Though it must be noted that entry to that forum is by that therapists approval.

Regarding the topic, and what is known here among the many participants. I've read and participated quite a few times about this topic. We must write "Trigger" for the thread title, and many of the posts must start with it. We must protect each other, there are plenty of new or long-timers who remain vulnerable to the triggering effects of this topic. It has shown to garner a wide range of sensitivities. I know that discussing it in context of our reactions to abuse has been a neutral approach, in that it's mentioned as a common reaction among those of us here. However, what I mean by neutral is specific to that it is of mention and the depth of what is done is left to the imagination. Each will have had their own experience of what it means to them, and that's why it can trigger some very strong reactions.

I know that a lot of participants here have discussed it in that neutral way, as an effort to share that depth of sorrow and pain which led to it. I recall vividly what I did and why. I have noticed most who engage in such neutral discussions have mentioned they too recall it too well. I was 14-16 in my timeline and I still have some posts I write that shares that level of despair.

I'm suggesting that discussion that might be of benefit about this topic wouldn't need be explicit in any regard, that the emotions and knowing that time are still parts of all who experienced it. I know we as Mods will have to be careful about this topic out in the forum. The Guidelines are very specific about discussions of this type. That's why in the context of our abuse reactions, with "Triggering" it can be submitted as a part of whom we are, and others can respond with the compassion it deserves.

Best regards,

Ceremony

I apologize. I didn't find the other posts. I apologize for the mistake I made.
I would just delete this but I don't know that I can

Gloomypanda,
Please feel reassured your curiosity and question are worthy of this thread and discussion. My post wasn't a rebuke, I think you're seeking a positive outlook to bring this topic to your and other posts. I'm not the last word on this topic, and my post has suggested a way to express this sensitive topic. Please explore your own way of expressing. You're needs are worthy of compassion.

Gloomypanda,
Please feel reassured your curiosity and question are worthy of this thread and discussion. My post wasn't a rebuke, I think you're seeking a positive outlook to bring this topic to your and other posts. I'm not the last word on this topic, and my post has suggested a way to express this sensitive topic. Please explore your own way of expressing. You're needs are worthy of compassion.

Ceremony,
I understand that you were expressing a sensitive topic. I wasn’t trying to bring up something that has been brought up before. I also wasn’t trying to hurt anyone. I apologize for not adding the trigger warning. I just feel as I may of brought more bad than good with this suggestion.

Not at all, you did this as any should. Ergo my reassurance. Be at ease that you've done nothing wrong, as your word choices have been neutral.

My share was to give you some confidence that out in the forum, you will be understood. This is an important topic, and I've no desire to stifle it.

Not at all, you did this as any should. Ergo my reassurance. Be at ease that you've done nothing wrong, as your word choices have been neutral.

My share was to give you some confidence that out in the forum, you will be understood. This is an important topic, and I've no desire to stifle it.
Thank you for your response. I had taken it the wrong way. I thought you were upset about me posting about it. I don't want to cause any issues. It is a sensitive topic. I just didn't find anything when I had looked. I just didn't want anyone believing they were alone in this matter.

I want to start with thanks for sharing we shouldn't ever ignore that sh occurs despite it being very emotive a topic but because it is we have to think of how , when and what we share. Also what we want to achieve by sharing eg to stop someone else feeling alone which is how I read your post and I think that's great personally
I want you to know your not alone either, here I have found that people understand we've all carried our own pain and coped our own ways. Some discussions have occurred time to time on forum.

**Triggers**

It's good to know that guy's here care and will worry when times are hard for a brother especially as we are all in different parts of the world unable to offer any real intensive support that we may offer people we know in day to day life struggling

Some of us have experienced the battle with selfharm myself included somes also experienced suicide in there family or friends I'm one of those
Some may have no experience and still care

Main point of my post don't feel bad for raising this topic it's relevent it's part of some of our journeys

And don't feel alone you arrived in a great place to continue healing

Wishing you peace in your healing journey

HL