Tonic for the Christmas blues

Tonic for the Christmas blues
I have mentioned in other posts how, when I was a kid, the step-dad would censor or edit my Christmas wish list. Often, instead of what I wanted, he would give me things he thought I ought to like or things that any “normal” boy would like. One year I got a shoe-shine kit. Another time a punching bag and gloves. One time it was a chemistry set. Anyway, Christmas was always a time of some anxiety for me. I was always hopeful, but not overly optimistic.

For a number of years, we have participated in a program that stuffs shoe boxes full of gifts for children in third world countries. Our own children helped chose and pack the gifts and it was a good way of helping them get the idea of giving and not just receiving.

But last year and this year, my wife and I found another opportunity for giving that does a lot for me. At the Y where we exercise, there is a tree full of mitten cut-outs with the name of an underprivileged child and three gifts he or she would like. I have found great joy and delight in choosing a name and then picking out the perfect gifts for that unknown kid.

This year, I got a 7-yr-old boy who wanted Marvel action figures, Hot Wheels cars and books. My wife got a 6-yr-old girl who wished for a baby doll, a tea set and a board game. I have recaptured the excitement and anticipation that I used to feel before the holidays by shopping and delivering these simple toys and imagining the happiness they will bring. I think the key is in trying to find precisely what the child wants and providing that. it is almost as if I am a kid again - and getting exactly what I wanted.

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Lee. Thank you for reminding me...I've done that, too. When I was in the work force I worked at a local University. There were co-workers who's folks owned and operated 1) a skilled nursing facility for older individuals and 2) a children's home. We, too, had a 'giving tree' where there were wish lists clipped on the various branches among the ornaments. It truly was a delight to shop for these people who had no one but each other at their respective facilities. We never saw their faces, never heard them exclaim on Christmas morning.....but we didn't have to. The joy was in the giving knowing it went to someone who would be forever grateful someone remembered them.