Starting a Peer to Peer Support Group in my area

Starting a Peer to Peer Support Group in my area

Talman

New Registrant
Good Evening Guys -

I'm starting in a peer to peer support group in my area (Southeastern NC). I need help with any suggestions anyone might have to reaching out to potential attendees. I'd also really appreciate any guidance or input from you as to what would make for the most comfortable atmosphere for sharing.

Thanks! Tal

Talman,

While I have not organized peer to peer support groups for survivors I have worked with peer to peer youth, individuals with chronic mental illness.

Getting or recruiting peers requires both deciding how to offer the activities without violating their privacy. Identifying potential providers of therapy and assistance to these individuals. Give them a short description of what they are being asked to participte in. Then give them post cards that they can mail to you if they are interested in participating. Or they could talk with the individual who might benefit and refer him to you.

Using the basic format for sharing would followw a format similar to the Healing Circle format. Good Luck I hope this is helpful.

Talman,

I wrote a post called "Ingredients of a
Good Support Group" in the Classifieds section. I am on a tablet and can't link to it but you might want to take a look. Something there might give some ideas. I have had years of experience attending groups and have lead some as a fill-in leader.

Best,

Chris

I founded a group in 2013. I went to NOVA (Network Of Victims Assistance) as a start. I also found lots of people here. I met with several mental health facilities, and I put a website up for them to contact me. It was quite painless. Of course, once you are up and running, get MaleSurvivor to put your group on their list. That helped a lot. I chose a hospital environment to make everyone feel safe in all ways. Good luck.