detrimental lack of expertise in sexual trauma

detrimental lack of expertise in sexual trauma
There are LGBTQ... health, women's health, but finding that there are no specific men's health/sexual trauma professionals in the VA system nationwide to include zero sexual trauma understanding by urology/proctology. The only real effort is a couple of inpatient MST programs that are essentially modeled after drug/alcohol dependency programs.

Localized MST staff don't seem to have any true understanding what a man might deal with in nearly any state I've been in contact with the last couple weeks. Only women seem to matter. I want to matter too. I need to matter too. just suffering with nowhere to turn

For different reasons, not competing, I have the same issues.

However... in my state... there's a small amount of male directed service. It's not easy, I'm not happy, and I have to push a bit, advocate some for myself. It's very hard for me. Very hard.

Sometimes... my darkness takes over and I don't want to, why do I have to?! These people are so out of it... but, then one gets it, and I try again...

If none in your sphere, get it... I hate that for you.

sorry, I guess I assumed so much has had to of changed since I was around years back. it's been a shock that its still so hard for guys to get assistance with all the stuff associated with the abuse we've suffered.

I feel kind of erratic posting some things. I think the new medication is messing with my personality some, yes I feel desperate but its coming out strange to me.

I hate that you or any of the guys still don't have what you need either. We deserve better.

There's no way around it - we need to be more vocal about the need for male support because it won't just magically show up.
That may be scary, but that is how it works in this culture... The culture only bows to consistent pressure, like from clowns like Al Sharpton or some group of dim-witted celebrities. In absence of celebrity advocacy, we have to start speaking up more, even in small ways, like on blogs, comments to articles, letters to editors, podcasts, radio interviews, etc. It has to be a grass-roots ground swell that starts with those who need it most. Anyone who can get over the shame and step out from the shadows should take the first steps and hope that more will eventually follow. Oprah did a show once where 200 men spoke up about their abuse, including a few celebrities. It is going to take more of those types of shows and more public speaking out to get the message across.

USMC97

I believe this is a universal problem. I have met people who have found great support and others who are struggling for the support because of the lack of competent professionals in the area of male trauma. Male sexual abuse is something that has yet to make its way into the mainstream mindset or acceptance. I cringe when I relive words I heard from many--people in the medical profession, family and in the end I realize they are as stupid in addressing this issue as society as a whole has been.

I have met doctors, Ts and other medical professionals who are caring and compassion. If outside their expertise they openly admit trauma is complex and they do not understand the complexities but accept the survivor has been damaged emotionally and psychologically. They accept the PTSD, dissociation, flashbacks and other elements of trauma as real and do not dismiss. I asked several why, because as medical professionals we are here to help and heal those inflicted psychologically or physically even if we do not understand the causes. One said he understands the ravages of cancer but it is not his specialty and cannot truly understand how it impacts the body but knows it has an emotional and psychological impact. Their words restore my faith in the medical profession that other so called professionals destroyed with their ignorance and inability to say I do not understand but I do understand trauma impacts a survivor--their ignorance shines through.

I do hope one day the world opens their mind and hearts to all victims of trauma and not selectively as the world currently lives.

I do hope you find the right medical support. I know it can be a hit or miss. Have you tried to find male support groups and from there someone may be able to help you find the right medical help. Thoughts are with you.

Kevin

Hi guys - jumper79 here, and I’m new to this site. I completely concur with your assessments that the VA system simply doesn’t know - yet- what in the hell to do with us. I fear that we’re victims in a secret they’d rather keep hidden - that their policies precipitated, in large part, this issue. I myself am a victim of the “Don’t ask, don’t tell” era, and I suppose that they’d like to keep things that way. My claim is still pending, and I fear an uphill battle with the VA bureaucracy to establish “service connection”.
In the meantime, my life has all but self-destructed, and I honestly think that, had I been a meth head rather than this particular sort of victim, I’d be better off - and treated better as wel. What are your thoughts?