deleted

Yes I had seen Oprah on a morning show speaking of the impacts of trauma and I discussed it in a previous thread. I found her remarks of interest. I think there are some valuable lessons in the segment. I believe when the person said the staff said we need to educate the teacher, the police it reminds me of what I heard from trauma nurses in the hospital. They would be upset with the doctors and nurses who rolled their eyes and when the police arrived how the treated the victim. They did not understand trauma distorts the mind and the victim needs to process. I remember one nurse after coming out of dissociation. She talked to me and said I had a very bad dissociative episode. I said most did not understand dissociation. She said when trained in trauma you learn it is not black or white, nor is simple for the victim to articulate or clearly remember until they are ready to remember and she said with PTSD this is an effect. We talked about my home life and she said with spit, grease, ganging up and being locked in a room PTSD is easily triggered. I will never forget her words and she was young and graduated from my university. She had said, they were looking for the cause not the outcome of when I was admitted. I guess their approach was similar--what happened.

I believe it is important to know what happened in order to help someone heal. Sadly, society has been trained to say what is wrong with you and dismiss trauma. I wonder if someone had asked me years ago, or when I was have syncope, dissociation that question, what happened to me. I may have asked versus hearing what is wrong with you, I do not believe you and other words many of us heard. I also believe relationships, as the segment highlighted, are important in healing. I did not have the strongest relationship as I was having the syncope and feeling abandoned and then being left alone, struggling in the nights alone with nightmares and flashbacks, hearing sarcasm to my nightmares, and the violence escalated and the relationships in the home encouraged the escalation because the treatment was not positive but rather negative. I felt I did not matter and I fell further into depression and dissociation. I have found people and relationships today that are positive.

Definitely healing is the objective and what method works will lie with the individual. We all deserve to heal. I keep learning about trauma from many different people and science is catching up but still has a way to go. Now we need everyone in society to open their minds and as the staff said we need to educate the teachers and police and I add to that, many in the medical fields who are the most ignorant because they cannot admit their limitations in understanding the mind.

If the message of trauma and the impact it has on victims is heard, then the segment made an impact. As with everything on the media, without follow through the message can be lost. Thank you for posting.

Kevin